Fareed Haque is a modern guitar virtuoso. Steeped in classical and jazz traditions, his unique command of the guitar and different musical styles inspire his musical ventures with tradition and fearless innovation.
Born in 1963 to a Pakistani father and Chilean mother, Fareed's extensive travels, with especially long stays in Spain, France, Iron, Pakistan, and Chile exposed Haque to different musics from a very early age. This natural eclecticism has become the hallmark of Haque's music, but it was repeated visits to Von Freeman's Chicago jam sessions that gave Haque the grounding in the Chicago blues and jazz tradition. The 1981 recipient of North Texas State University's Jazz Guitar Scholarship, Haque spent a year studying with renowned jazz guitarist and pedagogue Jack Peterson. Fareed's growing interest in the classical guitar led him to transfer to Northwestern University, where he completed his studies in classical guitar under David Buch, John Holmquist and Anne Waller.
- Festival Performance Date Sunday, September 1, 2013
- Festival Performance Time 2:00 - 3:00pm
- Festival Performance Location / Address Millennium Park - Jazz and Heritage Pavilion (North Promenade), 201 E Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60601
- Artist Website fareed.com
- Instrument Guitar
- Facebook facebook.com/pages/Fareed-Haque