Right in line with these plans, the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs announced today that the 2013 Artist in Residence for the Chicago Jazz Festival will be Chicago drummer/percussionist Hamid Drake. Drake has a long history with Chicago, having moved here with his parents in the early sixties, on the same street as Fred Anderson who would mentor the pre-teen drummer. By the early seventies, Drake joined Anderson's band, playing with him on stage at the inaugural Chicago Jazz Festival in 1979. The worldwide demand for his talents regularly takes Drake away from home. This year's Artist Residency will afford Chicagoans and visitors the rare opportunity to hear him in several contexts over the course of one weekend.
- Subtitle Hamid Drake has been selected as the 2013 Artist-in-residence for the Chicago Jazz Festival
- News Source chicagonow.com
- Publication Date Friday, 18 January 2013
- Author Carole Kuhrt Brewer
- News Article Link chicagonow.com